Monday, March 19, 2012

The Three Of Us



     On the day that I became a wife to Mr. Awesome, I also became something else profound, a new mom. A splitting image of her dad, she gave me the biggest smile and hug when I first met her, Kiana. I was hooked from the beginning. However, my life was hardly graced by children, so my lack of experience made me nervous about taking on such an important role in her young life. I often wondered about my ability to be what she would need when her life was already established and I imagine that she was just as nervous about me. It didn't take me long to realize that this young lady ,whose intelligence surpasses her age, was going to make the transition not as scary as I had anticipated.
      I can say that I am amazed when watching her and feel so thankful that she has opened her arms. Although there are times when I wonder if I am doing or saying the right thing, I believe that God has graced us with each other for a reason and I am glad to be able to be here during such an important time in life. I really couldn't have asked for  better and feel blessed as I experience being a first time mom. With her magnetic personality, respectful demeanor, and maturity, it has been a joy and I quickly found out why Mr. Awesome is so proud of her.
      On the day of our wedding, I had a few words that I wanted to say as a vow to her, but the wedding coordinator got crossed signals and omitted it out of the program. Although they were accidentally omitted on that day, they are still true:
"Kiana, I want you to know that I dearly love your father. We have become very good friends over the weeks and months and we have learned to love each other. As you have so graciously shared this wonderful man with me, so will I share the love I feel for him with both of you. Together, we will learn much more about each other.
I promise also to be fair and to be honest, to be available for you as I am for your dad, and in due time, to earn your love, respect and true friendship. I will not attempt to replace anyone, but to make a place in your hearts that is for me alone. I will be mother and friend, and I will cherish my life with both of you. On this day when I marry your dad, I marry you, and I promise to love and support you as my own. I love you very much"

I do wish that I could have spoken those words on that day to show how I feel, but I did let her know. As time goes on and we continue to transition, I am very thankful that I have her in my life and plan to use what I have to enrich her life . I am glad that the brightness of her personality and the values instilled in her from Mr. Awesome and others who have positively influenced and loved her have produced such a bright person. I know that I will make mistakes along the way and that everything won't always be easy, but if it will be anything like it is now, then we will have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Want It All

         I am sitting down to a moment of peace and quiet.  In front of me is a yellow package of my favorite cookies that my husband o...