Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Our Story


  
     Our story is one that I love to tell, because it happened in a way that neither Mr. Awesome nor I could have made happen on our own, especially considering that we were over 1300 miles apart. It was during our wedding that I realized quite a few of the people there did not know how we met or even came together.  Maybe some of those people were just there for the food anyway. :) Since ours is a unique story we would like to share it, here it is:


   It was in third grade that Corey and I shared Mrs. Johnson's class together at East Chattanooga Elementary. Our encounter was nothing more than that of classmates and our promotion to the next grade level sent us into two different schools for the next five years. After that, irony would have it that I went to high school out of my district and it was there that we met back up.  Our friendship grew over those next four years and we shared laughs thanks to Corey's comedy relief until graduation sent us, yet again, into two different directions. Corey went to serve in the U.S. Navy and I went to school at T.S.U. in Nashville and then on to Houston, TX after graduation. During this time, neither of us kept in touch with each other as we were doing our own thing including a couple of fruitless relationships. However, we both kept in touch with a mutual high school friend, Chantae.


    One day about ten years after high school graduation, I was on the phone talking to Chantae and we were reminiscing about people that we went to high school with. I asked about Corey and she told me how he was doing and then we continued on with our talk. It was during this conversation that he happened to call her on the other line and she connected him into the conversation. After she told him that there was someone on the phone that he hadn't talked to in a long time, I decided to play the 'guess who' game and was very surprised at how quickly he guessed who I was. We started to catch up and decided to exchange numbers to keep in touch. I was excited to be in touch with an old high school friend, but thought nothing more of it.   We talked off and on for a while getting reaquainted and learning each other on a deeper level, while just maintaining the friendship. Our sporadic conversations turned into daily conversations in which we realized that we had a lot in common. After a good while, he began to express interest in me and I was developing feelings also but I was afraid to show it. After our many talks, I realized that he was everything that I had been praying for, but inside I strongly fought it, puting it off on the distance factor as the reason why it couldn't go past friendship. Besides, we hadn't seen each other in over ten years, how is that going to work?

     Valentine's day roles around and he surprisingly sends a beautiful bouquet of Tulips {my favorite} to my job that he had never been too. Somehow he had secretly gotten the address from a co-worker and had them delivered to me. This officially started what would eventually become our courtship. We, then agreed to meet up a few months later in Washington D.C. 13 years to the day that we graduated high school. This would serve as a mini reunion that only included us two. It was the first time we had seen each other since graduation and it was the most pleasant trip. During that weekend is when he asked if he could court me. Yes, court. I responded with a resounding Yes and that is what began our courtship.  . . . . . . . . . The Proposal, next .....................








2 comments:

  1. OMG! I remeber sitting on the bed and talking with you on the phone and CP buzzed in... LMBO!! AND YES YOU GUYS THAT HOW IT HAPPEND WITH THESE TO LOVE BIRDS!!! MY HOMIES!!!

    Chantae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chan for being a part of it. Smooches.

    ReplyDelete

They Want It All

         I am sitting down to a moment of peace and quiet.  In front of me is a yellow package of my favorite cookies that my husband o...